Friday, April 29, 2016

Why I Might Become A Mother Before I Am Married


In 2010, the 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti, and I was beginning my journey working for the mouse at the  Walt Disney World Resort as a college intern. It was at Disney's All Star Resort that  I was introduced to the Haitian culture. I was surrounded by their strength every day of my program throughout this devastating time. During my time in Florida, I created this concept of the Dollhouse a girls home for troubled girls.  I dreamed of studying International Social Work traveling the world and helping people but .......

I figured  it would be important to start in my home country first. 

Okrah Pea and Dr. Otis try to being awareness to the problems of young women

I chased that dream of opening a girls home and I ended up volunteering at a residential care facility for boys. The facility was soon closed down and I teamed up with an organization  who desired to open a home for girls. I was truly excited because it was one step closer to my dream. With the closure of the RTC, the organization quickly decided to take in young men instead of young girls.  I ended up fostering 7 young men in one year at the age of 22. After a year of being a foster parent and being on the verge of graduation I  understood the bureaucracy of Social Work in the United States. I had my share of agency case workers, CPS case workers, and therapists visiting our home. I traveled to mediations and parent visits and it was a very stressful task attempting to live a "normal" life.

5 Women of Haiti
The pasts of these children were very dark and working to help  young men cope with their pasts is only a task for the strong. 


But, on my mission trip to Haiti a girls home came back to my mind. As I tried to sleep on the concrete rooftop, I envisioned a home for 5 girls.  A home filled with love, good food and the opportunity of education. I remember telling everyone on my mission team that, if the merchants bring anything to our host family's home with 5 women on it, it is mine
I purchased this piece of art  to remind me of the vision. 



My best friend went back home to Haiti for a wedding and to spend time with his family.
 He saw a girl selling coal on the street and thought of me. He is very sensitive to people in need and hates to see others suffer. In fact,on our first date in August  we made a deal to open an orphanage in St. Marc , Haiti.  As he watched the little girl he began to tell his friend about me. He told him that if I  was to see this little girl, I would want to take her in. He knew a little girl whose parents did not care about her very much



He said, "You can take her to your wife."

Beautiful Haitian Princess

Though I am not a mother, I couldn't fathom giving up my child  especially  to someone I did not know. But, I agree with Mother Theresa when she said, "Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty."

There are young women in the world living in poverty susceptible to human trafficking, rape, drugs etc. and forced to do a variety of things for money. 
Her picture alone motivates me to work harder but not just at work or school but to work harder to live a life that benefits others.


No comments:

Post a Comment